Feesers, Inc. is dedicated to developing and growing our business in a manner that has minimal impact on the environment. We feel that sustainability is a journey that never ends. We are constantly looking at new ways to improve our business, make our company more efficient and reduce our impact on the environment.
Sustainability goes much farther than just being 'green'. It is a dynamic process that allows our employees to reach their true potential and improve their quality of life while at the same time protecting the life support systems of the surrounding environment. We strive to incorporate long term considerations into the important problems we face today.
Feesers is dedicated to thinking outside of the box, pursuing innovation, and continually evaluating our business practices. This includes how we interface with our customers, employees, vendors, the community, and the environment. Our goal is to leave our environment in better shape than we found it.
Feesers, Inc. has been a quiet "GREEN" pioneer in actively reducing our carbon footprint. Our efforts to reduce greenhouse gases can be traced as far back as the late 1970ís when we began switching our transportation vehicles from gas to diesel powered and at the same time, we changed our freezer and refrigeration system from Freon based to ammonia based, thus eliminating the largest greenhouse pollutant from our system.
The switch to ammonia based refrigeration also reduced our energy use by 30% for all our refrigeration and freezer systems. At the time, our electric was produced by coal fired generation, thus eliminating many more pollutants into the air by the same 30%.
In 1978 we purchased the "Road Net" routing system. It is a software system that analyzes variables such as mileage, available vehicles and their sizes, route start times and customer time windows and service times to create better balanced and more cost efficient routes. This process results in reduced labor as well as a reduction in the number of vehicles we put on the road on a daily basis which reduces our mileage and fuel usage significantly.
In early 2000 we began using on board computers. We are currently utilizing the Cadec Mobius TTS System. This system stores the drivers D.O.T. hours of service information electronically, which eliminates the paper logs that they had to fill out on a daily basis. It also provides us with information on each driverís driving habits which enables us to retrain them on issues such as idling the engines, over revving the engines and speeding. This information also helps us to control any out of route miles. Our ongoing training is a great help in reducing our carbon footprint.
Since the early 1980's and before there were recycling centers, we incorporated a recycling program, which includes recycling plastic wrap, office paper and green-bar computer paper. In 2008 we recycled 200 tractor trailer loads of the above.
In more recent years, we have continued to evolve our business practices in order to operate more efficiently and with a smaller carbon footprint.
- Heat Recovery: We now heat the garage area, dry warehouse and the office areas with rejected heat from our ammonia refrigeration system and waste oil from our fleet.
- Evaporative Cooling: Feesers has an evaporative water condenser for its refrigeration system and a water cooling tower for its office cooling needs. The result is that we use less electric to accomplish the heating/cooling for our office needs.
- Renewable Energy Sources: We have been using and testing bio fuels in the fleet for 5 years.
- High Efficiency Lighting: We have replaced all lighting in the office and warehouse areas including refrigeration and freezer with the most efficient lighting available and have started to recycle all bulbs. We have installed motion detectors in low traffic areas to automatically turn off lights based upon traffic activity. The bulb replacement project has produced a savings of 1,937,125 KWT (kilowatt hours) per year.
- Recycling: We recycle oil filters, coolant filters, batteries, tires, office paper, computer green-bar paper, plastic wrap, pallets, cardboard and electric bulbs.
- Transportation Calibration: We align our trucks and trailers every 60,000 miles which saves fuel and tires for longer life. We use wide-based single tires where appropriate which affords us a 5% fuel savings.
- Increase MPG: We utilize a tire inflation system which notifies the drivers when the tire has a leak, thus saving on wear and tear and fuel mileage.
- Better Materials: We switched from steel wheels to aluminum wheels, because they run truer, are lighter in weight and run cooler.
- Reduce Waste: We have installed an auto-lube system that injects the proper amount of grease into each component saving time and grease.
- Reduce Pollution: All trucks have a 5 minute idle shut down system which is in compliance with Act 124 to save fuel and lessen the pollutants put into the air.
- Green Cleaning: All soaps used in the operation are biodegradable, including those used to wash the fleet.